Pages

Thursday 21 November 2013

Grandmother fashion

Today, I returned from an inpromptu shopping trip with a handful of tiny mother-of-pearl buttons to sew on a cardigan I have, and a dirt cheap fake leather bag in a weirdly wonderful dark sea green. Whilst walking home, I gradually came to realize that both these purchases were inspired by my grandmothers.



My grandmother on my mother's side was a softspoken, graceful woman. The family were farmers, and she lived trough two wars. I knew her as a sweet, beautiful old lady, always immaculately put together: She wore lavender, mauve, marine blue and cranberry red, cool shades complementing her dark hair and pale skin. She was always in skirts, cardigans and dresses with one or two pieces of dainty gold jewellery - tasteful, delicate and always beautiful.

My grandmother on my father's side is almost two decades younger than my nana, and the two couldn't be more different from each other. My granny is a city girl born and bred, and I've been told there was dancing. Lots of it. Compared to my nana, granny utilizes a whole different colour palette: mainly warm greens, burgundys and browns. She carries large brocade handbags and has gifted me quite a few mysterious, ornate stone pendants from her extensive jewellery collection.

As I'm sewing the mother-of-pearl buttons onto my cream coloured cardigan, I know my nana would approve - it's exactly her delicate, feminine style. And the greenish bag with antique brass hardware? Right up my granny's alley. My normally so bohemian style of clothing is gaining a distinct vintage touch as the days get darker, and who better to inspire me than the women who raised my parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment